New

Friday, May 13, 2011

Recapturing Beauty-Day 2


The Challenge: God's Definition of Beauty

I was asked to read Pres. Monson's talk "Canaries with Gray on their Wings" and "True Beauty" by Lynn G. Robbins.

This is the main point from Pres. Monson's talk...
Nearly 60 years ago, while I was serving as a young bishop, Kathleen McKee, a widow in my ward, passed away. Among her things were three pet canaries. Two, with perfect yellow coloring, were to be given to her friends. The third, Billie, had yellow coloring marred by gray on his wings. Sister McKee had written in a note to me: “Will you and your family make a home for him? He isn’t the prettiest, but his song is the best.”

I may not be the prettiest bird, but I want my song to be the best. It has always been a challenge to feel good about yourself when there are countless others prettier, smarter, skinnier, etc out there. But the one thing I think that I've found that has helped me the most is that when I am looking at others I am comparing my worst to their best. But the Lord always compares my best to my best and never to someone else. Over the years I've come to realize that all the outward stuff goes away, especially as I'm nearing thirty and seeing more and more wrinkles, and the only thing that is going to truly matter is how I treat others and if I'm happy with myself. If I'm doing those two things NOTHING else matters. If someone won't talk to me or be around me because I'm not thin enough, wear the right clothes, or rich enough than they aren't who I want to be around because all that stuff goes away and is so superficial. I'm grateful for my Savior and for the gospel. Those two things in my life allow me to change and become a better person every day...what more could we ask for! I truly can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment